Pages

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Exams seem to be working

For those who are not aware, our Association has a process where 1st Kyu karateka must undergo and pass an assessment before they can take their Shodan grading. TSKC have gone one step further and this came about when I realised that too high a percentage of 1st Kyu grades did not know enough of the basic knowledge I think they should know.

What on earth am I talking about, you may ask? Well a good example that comes to mind is the fact that a lot of students did not know the Japanese for Front Stance, for instance. I think things like this are a necessity if you are a Black Belt.

So, at the beginning of the year, I introduced a written exam which TSKC students must take AND pass as well as the physical assessment. Both having a pass mark of 60%. I then surprised around 85% of the club's 1st Kyu's and Black belts, by asking them to complete the exam. Most of the Black belts soared 50% or more and only 30% of the 1st kyu's reached 50% or more.

Initially, I think it worried the members that I was introducing it but with ALL of the information either being accessible on the website or first hand during regular classes, it has  been proved that my fears were not confirmed and to date, the students knowledge base has increased significantly.

Last Saturday, we had our assessment for the upcoming DAN grading in September. Four students took the Assessment and contrary to my expectations, all four passed the written part answering some of the harder questions correctly and some silly mistakes on the easier ones. I am sure that at the end of the day, the students, the club and the Association will benefit.

No comments: